I wish you had been there

Postby Black Light » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 am

Yesterday, I had to for the first time take on the role as squad leader. I don't think I did a very good job at it. Not sure if you are to order around people more, or just provide a Sunderer and transport. Any suggestions?
Black Light

Re: I wish you had been there

Postby ScottiB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:44 am

different people have different approaches, there are no hard & fast rules for leading.

Personally I only lead alliance squads & I tend not to be the vocal type. From experience it seems that the most successful random squad leaders tend to be those who drive/fly their own squad transport and only really communicate when calling the target, calling the "drop" and calling the squad back to transport prior to moving out. It's just luck whether you get a squad who works well with this.
ScottiB A.K.A. MaxJaymz
ScottiB

Postby Black Light » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:40 am

Oh it was an alliance squad

Me, Indey, G-Force (from LLoD) and Shuuda (from FIST). I also think I am missing someone (Scottie?), I wonder who :) VDH showed up for a while, and I wish I could have given him a better introduction since we first just road around and picked of enemy pockets behind the TR lines and then ran head first into an NC zerg and defended ourself to death.
Black Light

Postby ScottiB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:34 pm

I wish I could play but I'm staying with the girlfriend at the moment and I don't have a PC here yet...lots of bits...but nothing built

I'm not one of those members who thinks we should operate independently to the zerg, I think a small, organised squad can work on the periphery of the front line to influence the battle. Doing this also helps to give newer members a good impression of how a targeted attack can do much more for the balance of a fight than blindly charging into the fray.

I think the biggest skill that a squad leader can develop is the ability to take a step back from the fight, examine the situation, consult the map and pick a target which is both captureable and strategically significant enough to attract enemy attention. The objective is not necessarily to cap and hold the target but to open up another angle of attack. To flank the enemy rather than meeting them head on.

How many times have you seen a squad of players searching a base for a lone control point capper? expand that to a small squad who can take multiple points and even stand their ground and i'm sure you understand.
ScottiB A.K.A. MaxJaymz
ScottiB

Postby Avingord » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Max .. you make me proud :D

(lthough I disagree on the zerg bit .. but you know that)
Avingord

Postby Shuuda » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Having been the squad, the thing I noticed is that the squad seemed to dally a lot, which did frustrate me a bit. It felt like you did not know what you wanted to do for most of the time and we were just aimlessly wandering around Mao for a long time. Maybe I'm just anal, but I like it when squads feel organised.

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm trying to insult you.
Shuuda

Postby ScottiB » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:56 am

i'm sure he agrees with you Shuuda. It's actually surprisingly difficult to lead a squad when not in the Zerg becuase targets aren't obvious. If you aren't careful you end up moving from one dead point to another. Which is also why I find it useful to have at least one other experienced squad member to act as a back up and suggest targets, maybe even scout them.

I always thought that myself, Rabb and Avi work so well together because we don't all feel the need to lead the squad around by the hand and so we are constantly looking for the next target.
ScottiB A.K.A. MaxJaymz
ScottiB

Postby Black Light » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:38 am

Shuuda wrote:Having been the squad, the thing I noticed is that the squad seemed to dally a lot, which did frustrate me a bit. It felt like you did not know what you wanted to do for most of the time and we were just aimlessly wandering around Mao for a long time. Maybe I'm just anal, but I like it when squads feel organised.

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm trying to insult you.

Of course I don't get insulted, I didn't want the job in the first place but no one offered to take it off my hands when I asked. It all started with me and Indey playing, and I invited her, Then G-Force came, then you, all of a sudden we were a real squad (if small). The whole point here, which I think I made clear in the OP is that I think I didn't do a good job, but I don't see anyone else stepping up so I think I will do more squad leading in the future. Hence I need help to do it better.

Oh and on the dallying, you were probably the most experienced player there (at least are the only one of us that seem to know what you are doing). Neither me, Indey, or G.Force ever played PS1, and that team was vdh's first ever attempt at the game. At least I play PS2 one day out of two or three. So we are probably moving slower than you in general, and part of it is probably that I tried to lead by concensus with really is hard when people don't say anything and just try and go with the flow.
Black Light

Postby Avingord » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:11 pm

the need to lead the squad around by the hand and so we are constantly looking for the next target

Actually that is even more so when you have bigger squads.

The time staring at the map trying to make sense of what is happening and what needs to be done increases exponentially with the size of the group. A prime example is when leading an operation I just sat in the warp gate of the continent looking at the map seeing bases being attacked and validating what the different squadleads were telling me.
No kills, No xp, but lots of fun and satisfaction when/if it was a success.
Avingord

Postby Aminadict » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:13 am

Like the title says what jeep or car yougot rid of that you wish you had kept? Post pics if you got em
go!
Aminadict

Next

Return to Alliance General